Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas comes in small packages

I have a man in my life who has the ability to push all of my buttons. He's handsome, a bit of a lady killer and radiates charm. I simply adore him.

Did I mention he stands 29 inches and will turn 3 at the end of this month?

My nephew Jack positively kills me. He has big brown eyes & a head so big planets should orbit it, not the sun. He talks with a slight lisp and his mannerisms and inflections are far beyond that of a typical 3 yr old. Just about every sentence this kid utters ends with an exclamation mark. He refers to his cousins as "My Kids", and if he had his way, all he'd ever eat would be cheese. And milk.

Jack hates to travel the freeway. We know this because he's become very vocal about it. If he stays within the confines of his city, he's all about a ride in the car. But pull out onto I-205 and the boy begins to spiral.

"We shud juth be off thith fee-way an be at Auntie M's houz", he'll say.

Over.

And over.

Because in his mind, if you get off the "fee-way", Auntie M's house will magically appear. (See why I love this kid?)

Jack and his family spent Thanksgiving with us this year. When I opened the door to greet him, he simply pushed past me and said over his shoulder: "Ine here! Where are My Kids?"

I said: "Hi, Jack! Come give me a hug...... "

He looked at me, his massive head cocked to the side, considered my request carefully and said: "No waaaaay. Where are my kids?"

Totally Heismaned.

By a 3 yr old!

Jack thinks he's got the upper hand with me, but I'm totally on to him. If I feign disinterest in him, he'll come around. It's all about psychin' out the 3 yr old ('cause that's how I roll!). And if that doesn't work, Auntie M will just bust out a pack of Tic Tacs, sit back and let the little midget come to her.

Bribery is clearly not beneath me.

My point? I have no idea. But with all this talk of Jack, I've come to this conclusion: Much like Trix, Christmas is for kids. Pure and simple. And with Jack and his family coming for Christmas Day, I find myself filled with anticipation for what the day will hold. I know that mine will begin with my own children, who will drag me out of bed at 5am, squealing for me to GET UP AND SEE WHAT SANTA BROUGHT US! Once the stockings have been emptied and presents opened, we will spend a quiet morning together, just the Monsters Four, until the rest of our extended families descend upon us. And when Jack arrives, Christmas will center on a 29 inch small fry, who will waltz through my front door, announce his presence to everyone and effectively command the room for the remainder of the day. Christmas will be seen through his eyes, and the magic of it all is sure to rub off on even the snarkiest of brunettes.

If the Grinch's heart can grow three sizes on Christmas Day, surely mine can warm to the splendor that comes from spending the day with your loved ones.

Including a three year old.

Who pushes my buttons.

And puts a Big. Fat. Smile. on my face.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
(Where'd I put those Tic Tacs?)

No comments:

Post a Comment