Thursday, January 28, 2010

Unlimited texting.....(and sarcasm)

Kristin sent me a text.

Which isn't anything new. We text one another all the time. Now.

I say "now" like that because just a little over two years ago, Sister K was not about the texting.

We were in New York together for a week of Broadway shows, shopping, and literally cramming as much sight seeing into our week as humanly possible. And by humanly I mean, Super Wonder Woman powers were involved! We were out of the hotel by 7:45a everyday, and did not return until 11p or later each night. The only time we sat down was if one of us was trying on shoes OR we were watching a Broadway show!

I am Type A with a slight case of OCD: I like it how I like it (and I like it neat & tidy!) and I plan for how I like it.

Kristin is like that........only 100 times magnified:

We flew to New York in May.
She planned the entire trip in February.

We had an itinerary.
She had three drafts before it was "finalized".

Our itinerary had an accompanying map.
The map was so fkn big it was in three different sections and had to be pieced together on the floor of our hotel room!

Get my drift about "100 times magnified"?

I probably sound like I'm complaining, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I positively adore the fact that Kristin is more Type A than myself. Why? Because whenever I'm with her, I don't have to do a goddamn thing! I get a vacation within a vacation, and it's pure bliss for me. I literally just show up and wait for the good stuff to start happening.

But back to the texting. I text, therefore I am. Seriously. I cannot explain to you just how much I loathe talking on the phone. Always have. I was not one of those teens who would spend hours talking on the phone. I had a phone in my bedroom and I rarely used it. It became more of a knick knack than a tool for communication. My sister, on the other hand, she would spend days talking on the (goddamn) phone! This was back before cordless phones became all the rage, so we had a phone in the kitchen, as it was centrally located; and a phone upstairs in the tv room that separated our bedrooms. But the phone was never there. I would literally have to follow the (fkn) phone cord in order to find the actual phone. Holding onto the phone cord and following it like a Kindergartner following the rope that will lead her to the lunchroom, I would always be led to my sister's closet. Where I would find the phone, attached to Gina's ear; and find her sitting on the floor, amongst her piles of dirty clothes, talking about:
Noooooo way! He said that? Well what did she say? Nuh-uh! Wait....where's the party.......?

Get off the phone, Geeeeeeee-nuuuuuuuuh.
Yeah.... she'd say.
Two minutes. Get off the phone.

And I'd head downstairs to the kitchen to burn two minutes. I'd grab a glass, fill it with ice, grab a straw and toss it in the glass; scoot out to the fridge in the garage and grab an icy Coke. I'd come back to the kitchen, pour my Coke and then take the three steps required of me to get from the counter to the phone, and pick it up. Each time I hoped I'd hear nothing but a dial tone....and each time I was sorely disappointed.

She's so stupid........ I hate her. Nooooooooo, I hate her more. What are you doing this weekend?

Gina. GET. OFF. THE. PHONE.
Yeah....... heard ya the first time......
OFF. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

More stupid girl-y talk would ensue, which left me no choice. I would take the receiver of the phone and beat it into the phone base: BAM! BAM! BAM!

And the reply was always the same: I have to go.......my sister's such a bitch!

Indeed.

No talk-y on phone-y. Hate. It.

But texting, I'm all about it. So much so that Mark finally saw the light and switched our cell plan to unlimited texting because I kept going over the text limit. By like, 1,000 texts.

Oops!

So KB & I are in NY and I kept in touch with my family & friends back home via text. I'd send updates throughout our day because I wanted to share this amazing experience that I was sharing with Kristin, with everyone else. AND, random updates throughout the day meant less time on the phone at night when I called home to say goodnight to my kids. I'd check in with Mark, then both Monsters and boom! I'm off in under 10 minutes, while Kristin is over in the corner reliving her entire day and going on 20 minutes with a phone stuck to her ear.

After about three days of this, Kristin began warming to the idea of texting. I kept telling her- practice makes perfect. The more you text, the better you'll get! By the end of our trip, Sister was becoming a texting fool! And it opened a completely new door to our most favorite game in the world: Make Fun of Others While People Watching. We'd be standing in line and I'd spy The Target and give KB the look. And 3 seconds later I'd have a text that would say: the blonde, right? And we'd be off and running and totally cracking each other up and passing the time while standing in line.

(It's a great game, People. And for the record, it's always the blonde!)

Fast forward two years later and KB is the person I text the most with. Part of that is because she's in BoHo and I'm in Oregon. But it's also because we are so much alike, and often misunderstood, and texting is our way of having instant reality checks, or an instant answer to a question, or an instant comment on an opinion by someone who gets you.

Which (finally) brings us back to the text I received from Kristin:

Is it odd that I'm shopping at thrift stores while carrying my Dior purse?

followed immediately by:

BTW- I found a white, leather luvseat.....$50! (snarky, winking, smiley emoticon)

2 comments: