Monday, January 4, 2010

Sally Field

I might have screamed just a skoosh.

And I might have said aloud: OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!!
(FINE! I yelled: Holy shit!)

And I might have had a wee tear of joy.

And then I totally did that dance. You know, the one that Katherine Heigl does in The Ugly Truth where she jumps up and down and bobs her head from side to side. Yeah, that was me.

So why all the fuss?

A perfect stranger.

Today I received my first comment from someone I don't know. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! In a word, it was exhilarating. First, because the comment was a glowing review of my writing thus far but more importantly- I'm reaching others. The Snarky Brunette is out there. And you know what they say about out there.......once it's out there, you can't take it back!

My profile says I've had approximately 53 hits, but in the back of my mind I couldn't quite shake the thought that maybe the seven people I've shared my blog with weren't just clicking on my profile to fk with me! Of course, now that I've said that, it has occurred to me that could still be true........but Hello? That still means I've got 7 known followers PLUS ONE.

And she likes me!

And that got me to thinking: what is it about wanting people to like you? This need for acceptance. I would not say it's a driving force for me, because really.....when you're as snarky as I am you simply have to accept that not everyone will like you. And for the most part, I'm fine with that. To the outside world, I project a hard shell and only if you truly know me; if I've let you in, do you come to understand that I have a soft, chewy center. So, for the most part, if someone doesn't like me, it rarely phases me.

Ok, that's a complete line of bullshit. It totally phases me! I usually end up having long conversations with myself that begin: Why, Self? Why? Which is why I was so hesitant in actually creating this blog. What if out there didn't like me? I wasn't sure I could take that much rejection. So I turned to the driving force behind the "Start Your Own Goddamn Blog" campaign: Kristin. I confessed my fear(s) of rejection and after telling me to put my big girl panties on and blog, she left me with this final pearl of wisdom:

If people don't get you, that's a strong indication that WE wouldn't like them anyway.......so, you know...... fk 'em!

Once I got over the initial shock of KB tossin' out the f-bomb, I accepted that she was right, and The Snarky Brunette was born. Or rather, created. And put out there.

Will out there turn out to be mass consumption? Can the Universe handle The Snarky Brunette? Clearly, this remains to be seen. But I've got the Original 7 and a Plus One.........so shout it from the rooftops, People! Plug me shamelessly. Tell a friend, to tell a friend, to tell a friend:

I am here. I am snarky. And I am ready to be heard! And while I still have a few concerns with out there and its acceptance of me,

I am just plain ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment