Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Nice Cup of....Pffffffft!

So I just got off the phone with my Mother........

Oy.

I exasperate my Mother to no end (on account of my snarky, running commentary and my insistence that, Yes. I am. RIGHT!) and she literally drives me to drink.
(The reasons number many.......)

(And, that...... right there: You rolling your eyes at me.....that's one of them, Mother!)

So we are chatting about our week and just doing the general "checkin' in" shtick, when I mention I'm freezing and I'm thinking I'll make some coffee to warm myself up.

Mother: Whaaaaaaaaaat? Coffee at this hour? Noooooooooooooooooo. Have some tea.
Snarky Brunette: Mother.......I hate tea.
M: No you don't.
SB: Yes. I do.
M: You used to drink tea all the time.......what are you saying, you don't like tea.......?
SB: I drank tea for two days when I was a junior in college. I hate tea.
M: Oh, you do not! Don't drink coffee, you'll be up all night.
SB: Perhaps, but I bet my ass will be warm!

It's at this point that my Mother yells my given name into the phone and informs me I'm "being ridiculous". She then tells me to have "a nice cup of tea, decaf- if you have it", and we end our conversation in the usual manner.
Mother: Thanks for calling, hon......love ya!
Snarky Brunette: Love you too, Glor.

Tea.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffft. The only tea I will drink and enjoy is the tea they serve at my favorite Chinese restaurant. What's up with that tea and why is it so delicious?! And why the hell can't I find it on the shelf next to the other teas? I've looked, People. "Chinese Tea" ain't out there! Instead I'm always assaulted with teas baring stupid names like "Ginger Root Extract" or "Sleepy Time Baby". They ought to have names that are more descriptive as to how they are really going to taste. Names like "Tastes Like Wood Chips" or "My Dog Peed on the Grass I Brewed this Tea From."

With these thoughts festering in my head, I shuffle to the kitchen to make myself some coffee. A small pot; I fill the machine and grind the beans and as I'm pouring the grounds into the filter basket I can hear my Mother's voice, ala Fran Drescher, saying: You're going to be up allllllllll night.

Not willing to let my Mother have the last word, especially given the fact it's only in my head, I yell to Marky who is downstairs: I'm cold! Should I have some coffee?

The response is immediate and resounding: Only if you're a dumb ass.......!

Goddamnit! Why does everyone keep saying that to me?!

I hit the auto button on the coffee pot, setting it to brew in the morning, and then walk to the cupboard over the stove. I pull down the wooden box that holds the assortment of teas my mother insists on bringing when she comes to stay with us. Tea with Gigi is one of my Monsters' most favorite evening rituals.

I poke through the box until I find what I think I'm looking for: Green Tea, Decaf. That's gotta be better than "Pomegranate Raspberry" or "Peach Apricot"! I put the tea bag in my favorite mug (Wynnie the Pooh) and load the dishwasher while I wait for the water to heat (a watched pot never boils, People!).

As I pour the steaming water over the tea bag, I begin to smell something that seems familiar but I can't place it. Hmmmmmm? I let the tea steep just barely a minute; I hate strong tea, and then I take my spoon and wrap the tea bag string up and over, and around the bag to drain it ever so perfectly. The spoon and the tea bag go immediately onto the spoon rest (no drips-ies on the counter- Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!) and then I add a splash of cold water to my mug to ensure I don't burn the shit out of my mouth!

Warm mug feels good in my cold hands..........

What is that smell? I know I know it.......

I test the tea with my tongue......not too hot......take a sip........

Hmmmmmm...... I know that taste. That tastes alot like........

Chinese Tea.

Goddamnit.

Not only am I drinking tea. I'm liking it.

Mothers...........

1 comment:

  1. I love "Chinese Tea", too. Good to know what it's actually called. . . You know, I didn't think I liked tea either but now I'm *obsessed* with Chai Tea Latte's. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete