Saturday, April 3, 2010

Keep Your Unders & Your Self, to Yourself

Just so we're clear:
Michael Buble~ is worth every penny.

And then some!

For a guy who wears a suit, owns a huge voice and is accompanied by an orchestra, he embodies the word Showman. From the moment the curtain dropped and he began the opening note of Cry Me a River, to the final song that closed his show (A Song for You)- he was a non-stop dynamo! All over the stage: singing, dancing, cracking jokes, engaging his audience members with small talk and making the near capacity crowd feel like we were part of an intimate show.

(Which, of course, just proves what a Master Entertainer he is because, Hello? He was singing to me. And only ME!)

(Ok, fine! Aaaaaaaand Lynda.)

Who, by the way, was positively adorable. Sitting in her chair, swaying to the music- she'd periodically burst into squeals of excitement if Michael happened to be addressing our side of the Garden. She would clap her hands and her face would light up with pure joy. She was the picture of serenity. Enjoying the moment.

And then there was me.

SCREAMING at the top of my lungs, either Michael's name or just in appreciation for whatever song he would sing next. SINGING (read: yelling) the words to EVERY song that was sung. CLAPPING my hands together so hard and for so long that by the time the show as over they were numb. And (I'm sure this was Lynda's favorite part) GRIPPING Lynda's arm and SCREAMING: OMG! I LOVE THIS SONG! at about every third song that was sung!

Picture of "Serenity"?
Helllllllll, no!

Picture of "That Chick is Having a Great Time!"?
Whooop , Whoop!!

I'll spare you my entire Michael Buble~ Review. And I'll refrain from posting his entire set list (this is taking some major effort on my part........You're Welcome!). But I will say this: his opening act Naturally 7 was amazing. Seven extremely gifted, African American artists who not only sing beautifully, but create the sound of music (as in the musical instruments) with their mouths. If Mike wasn't such a Master Entertainer, his opening act would have blew him outta the water! They were that good. You.Tube them, People.

You're Welcome. Again!

Finally, as my parting gift to you, I'll let you in on a few things Lynda & I learned from our MB experience:

1. Next time, we are getting seats on the floor! Two reasons. One-you have no chance of laying hands on Michael if you're in Level 2 seating, and Two- Mike encourages everyone to stand up, sing and DANCE but only those that are on the floor really do it. Why? Cuz those of us in the stands get told to sit down by the assholes seated behind us. Note to Assholes: You're at a live concert. If your lame ass is unaffected by the energy in the room, you should have stayed home!

2. If you're lucky enough to actually lay hands on Michael, don't actually lay on Michael. One chick in the Floor Section learned this lesson the hard way. The very hard way, when her ass was literally plucked from the back of Michael Buble~ and tossed aside like a rag doll into a row of empty chairs, courtesy of the GYNORMOUS bodyguard who was always 2 steps behind Mike. (Another reason MB is a Master Entertainer- his voice never wavered; and even though he is a class act, Mike has the ability to bring the excitement of The Springer Show for us all to enjoy!)

3. Michael is an engaged man. To a beautiful Argentinian actress whose name is about a 1/2 mile long and therefore, I will not be typing it. In her culture, when two people become engaged both the man & the woman wear rings. I know this because Mike shared this piece of trivia with us all last night; showed off his ring and succinctly dashed the hopes of all the Hoochies in the House who came to the show convinced they'd make it backstage and make it with Michael Buble~. (From the pink sparkly tops paired with zebra print stilettos emblazoned with a "coordinating" pink stitching; to the numerous "little black dress" numbers that were nothing more than recycled prom dresses, circa 1992.......Ladies. Your visual displays of both boobies and clothing were shameful!)

4. If you were a Hooch and didn't quite understand what Mike was telling you with the whole "I'm engaged, here look at my ring" exchange, lets hope you learned your lesson when you tossed your large, black, strapless bra onto the stage only to watch Michael punt it ten rows back and make a face that read: There's one in every crowd. (For the record, Lynda & I were highly entertained by this and it only solidified that I'd made the right choice in keeping my unders to myself!)

5. If there was a gay man in the house, he was nowhere near Level 2, Section 218! The Snarky Brunette was surrounded by a large number of Geriatric Couples; many, many That Poor Bastard was drug here Kickin' & Screamin' Couples; a few That Guy brought his Girl in the Hopes of Getting Laid tonight Couples; and the rest of the crowd was made up of alot of Girls Night Out.

...........Sigh.......... I'm never gonna find myself a 'Mo to love!

The best part of the show came at the end. In the closing refrain of A Song for You, the curtain was raised to cover the orchestra and the house lights began to come up. It was then that the spotlight found Michael at center stage, about two feet from the microphone. He'd taken his ear pieces off and unplugged his amplifier so that when he began to sing, it was a cappella and only the bigness of his natural voice was being used to carry his voice across the Garden. EVERYONE fell silent. EVERYONE was still, to hear him croon: We were alone, and I was singing this song for you...... Singing my song, I'm singing my song for you.

Fade to black and EVERYONE went bat shit crazy! The lights came back up to find Michael blowing kisses to the crowd, bowing to the center and each side of the stage; pointing to the rafters and waving goodbye to everyone. When he exited the stage, Lynda turned to look at me and found me with huge tears in my eyes. She burst into laughter, her HUGE smile making me smile in return and she said: Sister.......there is no one else who I would want to share this moment with.

Seeing my Bestest, dearest Dearest so happy- the joy radiating from her beautiful face. It was priceless. Damn.......Mike was good. But that. That was the best part of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment